Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Obesity Epidemic

As most of you probably know already, I am studying how to make people healthy, happy and vivacious!!!! And I love it! Today in my Advanced Nutrition class (yes, that does sound intense) we learned about the obesity epidemic that is overwhelming our nation. Now, I have had similar lectures before, but today, I just felt very overwhelmed by my future job as a Dietician. I could not believe some of the statistics (even though it seems like I hear them almost everyday). So, here is a little run down of my lesson from today. (This is for you mom!!!! You requested I write more about what I am learning, so here it goes!)

  • Obesity is an epidemic of modern times
  • Obesity is most rapidly increasing in children
  • There are many health complications associated with obesity
  • If the incidence of diabetes continues to rise at the rate it is now, 1 in 3 Americans born in 2000 will be diagnosed with diabetes by 2050.
  • Diabetes was the 6th leading cause of death listed on US death certificates in 2000.
  • $1 in every $10 health care dollars is attributed to diabetes.

Anyway.... I don't mean to sound so morbid... but this is a "growing" problem in our country that is becoming more and more prevalent among our younger generations. So, instead of leaving you all depressed, here are some ways to combat the onset of diabetes and obesity.

  • Exercise- 30-60 minutes a day... the best exercise is the kind you love! this can be anything... as long as you like it enough to do it.
  • Eat more fruits and vegetables!!!! This is key. I know it is something you expect to hear from a Dietician, but increased consumption of fruits and vegetables are known to decrease heart disease, diabetes and other health problems.
  • Get sleep!!!!
  • Decrease fat intake... fat is an important part of our diet and should not be completely avoided, but limit the amount of saturated fats and trans fats and total fat. Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats (such as olive oil, avocados) have been found to be good for our bodies!
  • Increase fiber. Fiber is an excellent way to help decrease cholesterol, which is an indicator for obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

There are also many more things you can do... but I am out of time and tired of typing. Anyway, hope you learned a little something extra you can apply to life!!!! Cause I sure have.

1 comment:

  1. So...I shouldn't be eating straight butter while checking your blog? Hmm...something to think about.

    ReplyDelete